Tuesday, February 18, 2014
February 2014
Honor Thy Father
Not much to show
for a life of pain
one golden teardrop
in the rain
Honor thy father
as he's climbing the walls
withering under catcalls.
Took stock in the liberal trade
wrote but was never paid
honor thy father
as he spirals in the web.
He showed you the dance
taught you as his last chance
honor thy father
as he dies to make way.
Online
A hideaway from big league scammers
and a minefield of true ugliness
they embrace like garbled tie knots
tangled spiders of flesh.
Amusement here is a shadow of blood
cast over the sunken eyes of twisted tongues
the number of times they've defeated me
ranks in the thousands.
As the sun set on Chinatown
I'd watch these disgraceful arachnids
dirtying up their pornographic cameras
like dangerous commies manhandling their wives.
They've broken me of
both love and lust
by their terrible incessance.
They left flickering blisters
of surreal chimeras on my soul.
Yet somehow I often feel
it is ignoble not to thank them
for trivializing isolation
and playing to a fool.
Valentine
I didn't think you loved me
now I know you never will
to lose a girl so glistening
is such a bitter pill
If only I had courage
and a little faith
my life would be fulfillment
and my heart would never break.
Worst of all is just the thought
I could have had it made
if I had shown by steady work
my worth to you, my babe.
I watch you as you leave me
for a different man
Don't think it as misleading
I'm still your biggest fan.
If just your wings would open
heaven's glory in full reign
my soul would be in tempest
and desire filled with pain.
The only hope to change it
would be that you be mine
that is too much to hope, my dear
but thank you for the valentine.
The Ward
The unbanishable tapping of you know whos
gave me a bouquet of forget me nots
I was stitched like a ragdoll without a mouth
voiceless I made no sense as I tried to talk
but no one was listening enough to care
as I smashed on the altar of an agnostic world
where our meaningless lives abominate
over the cataclysm of death
the gang sat playing spades.
Did I mention outer space
as snowflakes fell like rain?
Childhood Memories
The bird carries a worm to its nest
like a childhood memory
returns to a poet.
The memory spreads its wing
floating down, down the stairs.
Waking up when the blue phantom
reaches the floor.
Listening to the noises in my pillow
and hiding a tooth underneath
my tooth fairy mother
would sneak in with a quarter
as I dreamed of floating down the stairs.
If a poet is excitable
like a chirping robin cracking from the egg
momma bird will bring another worm
another memory of childhood.
The Barber Story
Bombs fell, hair grew.
I made a vow ten years no barber.
Mother put a bowl on my head and complained of split ends
Still laughs how I opened my shirt at the checkout
in a grocery store when the clerk commented on her pretty daughter
My stupid stepmother insisted my thin gold hair was thick
and brought out thinning shears.
Oi vey.
By age fifteen it reached my waist.
My friend Meg in the record store
told me not to put a feathered earring in my right ear.
I looked awful cute.
As a lad Pap had taken me to Webster Hall
and they would shine me up nice
he called me a regular little man.
In a way after the chaos of the anti-war struggle
seeing it again was very like finding
evidence of a past life.
Throughout my upbringing
Bruno's daughter lay in wait
She wanted as a consequence of giving up her virginity
a confrontation with her father.
I waited until the razor was at my throat and said
I love Rosa.
But the Delilah of my story was by some strange
habit of perversity in the laws of heaven and earth
a married Vietnamese woman named Law
whose marriage survived I suspect only
because psychiatrists had tampered with my erection
confirming the adultery laws.
We'd meet in secret, prayed to the buddha
she'd caress me with her breasts while
shaving my neck, hand on my pulse.
I told her she'd made me the devil
when she made me look just awful
and year after year that blond hair turned gray
until it lay like a shot dog
on her Chinatown floor.
War
The adrenal hyperhydrosis
of Bruce Springsteen playing beer belly godhead
on a tavern-light stage
doesn't do it.
There is still too much that is too much
in the silent betrayal, shock and despair
of half-incinerated children
for any song but war pigs.
I can't imagine even Imagine
having any effect
and most rock stars are glamorizing war
deceitfully through their stardust puppet protests.
War to me is a teardrop that lands on your foot
and turns into plague.
It is the lie told as a kiss
to a the face whose jaw gets broken.
War simply isn't a song.
Not unless it's the Russian lullaby
a freezing woman sang
in the Stalingrad trenches
to calm her men.
Scribbles
How contradiction revels in a smudge
how revealing
They are the fingerprints
of ordinary sages lost in a bin.
The cast away moments
long hours of reverie
the sad mutations of melancholy.
On this margin are printed doubts
the amendments of promises made.
Scribbles, what churning banks of cognitive dissonance
do you show for a brief copious moment of gloom
before the wads of crumpled paper swallow you up?
Scribbles, do I read too deeply into thee?
Are you really what you pretend
the mere stray traces of shedded hair?
You are the Sun
You Are The Sun:
Blazing flames,
blazing flames,
blazing flames of love.
I wasn't expecting this
but it has really gone to my head.
No is just a word meaning yes
when I speak of you.
You are the sun, blazing.
You are the sun, listening,
you are the sun.
This cup of mine
can only be shared with one.
This sweet cup of mine.
Someone told me this would happen
that fate held for me the perfect girl.
I never believed.
It has really gone to my head.
You are the sun.
The sun blazes
the sun listens, just like you,
the sun answers
you are the sun
I don't deserve you
but you really lit my fire.
With any luck it will be my pyre.
Because this is how it should end
with you sitting on my desk
as my loved one and my best friend.
This cup of mine
can only be shared with one.
This sweet cup of mine.
The sun cries
blazing flames
blazing flames
blazing flames of love.
You are the sun.
The sun listens just like you.
Blazing flames
blazing flames
blazing flames of love.
You are the Sun.
The moment I set eyes on you
you were my lover.
No is just a word meaning yes
when I speak of you.
This cup of mine
this sweet cup of mine
should be shared with you.
Someone told me it would happen this way
that fate had the perfect girl
I never believed
but now that I've found you
it has really gone to my head.
Love, love
you are the sun,
You are the sun blazing,
You are the sun listening,
You are the sun answering,
blazing flames
blazing flames
blazing flames of love.
I'm engulfed
I'm drawn down, down
It has really gone to my head.
I wasn't expecting this
you are the sun.
You are the sun.
Blazing flames,
blazing flames,
blazing flames of love.
Out of Reach
Maybe clarvoyance could bring trust
if you knew my soul
I wouldn't always get there
after the door closed.
Everything is falling
over the side of flat worlds
you glance away.
I step across
the invisible line
the lady disappears
it seems to follow
the script of my fears
every time.
Close enough to love
but still out of reach.
It seems I dropped something
and can't keep up
searching the ground
for some kind of key.
Sometimes I lock my door, too.
I can see the way it is
how the world looks
out from inside of you.
Close enough to empathize
close enough to care
close enough to love
close enough to touch
but still so out of reach.
Dream Frollick
Every time I look into your eyes
I see the haughty fire
of a woman whose boyfriends
as a girl
made me their punching bag
for making her smile so much,
and she never defended me,
nor liked me much after that.
When I dream of you
I see you come to the door a little wet
and wrapped in a towel
letting me right into your womb
knowing what I want.
I'm not kidding.
I wish you loved me back.
I wish you had a place in your heart
for the intellectual hippy.
I wish that making you tea
and bringing you flowers
turned you on.
But there's something
a little perverse
about the dog-eared howl
of a sickly banshee
strumming his banjo
over the dead, dead moon.
Long after you made clear
that you hated me
for being so bold
you were my dream frollick.
Do You Still Love Me?
Do you still love me
knowing I am torn?
Do you still love me
like the day I was born?
I see your smile
in every tree.
I dream of you
do you dream of me?
Everyone calls me old man
my death I can see in the sand
how I reach out
is it ruled out?
If I let go of someone I love
to make room in my world for you
will you let go of me, too?
I guess we're never too old for games.
Whatever you may call me by namewise.
I guess we're never too old for games.
The Tree of Two Old Spinsters
It looked as big as a playground
it's climbing branches an urn
into which to crawl
up, up into its crib.
They'd come to the window spying
making moody faces at the children
the older children told stories about them
as if they were goblins.
but i felt safe in my tree laughing.
Mail Order Bride
No one ever wants to admit they cried
when they destroy something beautiful.
They always laugh
and that is a pain worse than tears
more crippling.
She'll hang me she said
for plucking her desire to come to America
from her sensuous words
with rejection.
I've seen your kind before,
we both said with our eyes.
This isn't the first time
I was married overnight.
The Atheist Nun
The Atheist Nun
didn't believe in God
but she believed in manners
and for this the church
seemed the best school.
She was of course
a defeated person,
but she loved the mansion
and the old clock
the visits from children,
laughed at perverse things
with her other sisters,
studied the Bible
with the diligence of a scholar
and never questioned why
she went the road of Jesus.
Delusions
by Mac Crary
"We weren't talking about you,"
the parochial savage said with bloodless innuendo
as the clock struck four and a klukker thief was at my door.
For the rush of a scared crescendo
I fiddled with old momentos
he spat again, "We weren't talking about you."
Admittedly the peon they described
only passingly resembled me
as I saw him squint my way
reassembling.
His pigment was but a figment
his poison was paranoia
and to trust Dr. Goblin
he never existed.
"You want responsibility for this," he yelled,
"I pour it on your steaming."
and welts formed all over my torso.
My stomach spilled out on the floor,
but is this true?
Quoth Dr. Goblin,
"it is your mind and nothing more."
They asked me if I believe in God
before splattering the school
with photos of my aborted son
contracted for in a fraternity ruse.
"The Dead Kennedys," they laughed,
"have been done."
But no web was spun.
Quoth Dr. Goblin,
"It is your mind and nothing more."
I finally shrieked, "This is patient-bashing
and I'll break every bone in your face!"
They laughed at me and brought in chains
to add to my disgrace.
The Bricklayer
The keys in his hands
he enters the site of a collapsed house
and wonders that they want it restored,
his kizmet a copywig
tribute to the klavern throne
of beefeaters.
Yet this is his London.
He was born to this shackle.
You can find him drinking safely
and smiling abashedly to tourists
navel-gazing at this diehard
like a war museum in his dungarees.
They call him a brick.
She saunters to his side
What makes us so different from the nazis
she purrs and he shrugs
keeping his eyes on his scotch.
Everyone wants the keys to his job.
He knows this as surely as he shrugs.
The bricklayer has no trouble being friendly
with those who envy his stubborn life.
Object Lesson
It's not a bullet
it's a paperweight
it looks like a bullet.
The Coroner scowled.
They took my water gun
and called it psychological evidence...
...routine construction of a persona.
Without a Trace
I live a great reluctance
some things can never be
but nothing comes so easy
as to nurse your love for me
I do not want to own you
I want to set you free
if only you could find it
while still in love with me.
You are so hot I'm dizzy
at the thought of such a tryst
you make me seem King Arthur
appearing in the mist.
The truth is such that I cannot
encourage such a game
I'm deaf, I'm old and I am sick
in short I'm pretty lame,
but every picture you have sent
has left my love enflamed.
You blew a kiss I caught it here
I'm sure it's just in fun
but if you sought to satisfy
the battle has been won.
Throughout the day I think of you
a maid of honor true
and it wounds me to the spirit
that I am not for you.
Let no woman reckon
that she could keep apace
the way my heart's set beating
by the sight of you in lace.
Your eyes are heaven's pinholes
and God shines in your face
I blow a kiss to you my love
and leave without a trace.
On the Importance of Unrequited Love
You and you alone
have found a hermit's love:
in my crystal ball
The heavens unfold like a wish come true;
A trillion beginnings are a stellar ordeal
heaving in birth, pride, tragedy, redemption.
You and I live again insatiable.
Our discovery of God by tears of joy;
Among the peasant Queens we are bounteous
no one (yet all) understands.
From good China, how fair, how holy.
Yes, I love you.
My darling, wonderful Amanda,
how I kiss you, how I adore you,
how I love you.
Free my life of everything
and feed my love with your kisses.
Hold my hand and marry me
and free my doubts with your wishes;
my cause I know is lost
Confused by a lover's pang.
A hard life of heartbreak leaves me in noise again.
Your letter in my hands
I fell down before God and wept
how can this be?
Just to see you,
I wait a lifetime
as you sleep, I rock-a-bye
your darling weary head
on the pillow of our passion.
My love for you so new and dear
it is as if you are very near.
...although we've been together now
the lives of a billions suns
always apart.
I'll wait another lifetime to be united...
Free my life of everything
and feed my lips with your kisses.
Hold my hand and marry me
and end my doubts with your blesses,
I confess bewilderment, giving you no peace,
Confused by a lover's pang.
I'll let you go. I'll let you go.
I'll let you go, my baby.
Just let me catch my breath, okay?
Confused by a lover's pang.
My bride of honor if you flee already I've forgiven you.
Your picture is gold
your letters an eternal fire, my most priceless treasure
your mission my joy.
Free my life of everything
and feed my lips with your kisses,
hold my hand like a diamond ring
confused by a lover's pang.
No woman should ever face the sunset in fear
no woman should ever find God only by her tears.
She should not find a leer instead of a smile on the lips of her husband.
She should not have to pray for his love.
You will never have to pray for my love.
I love you. I love you. How I love you.
Kneeling down before God
to thank the heavens for your love
I know how swiftly it can be taken away
that is why I kiss the sky
that I have begun another day.
Free my life of everything
and thrill my lips with your kisses.
Confused by a lover's pang.
What have I not said
except that I live to say it all again?
Free my life,
free my life of everything
and feed my love with your kisses.
Hold my hand like a diamond ring
confused by lover's pang.
I love you, my darling,
Amanda, I love you.
I'll let you go.
Just tell me,
care nothing for my tears,
care nothing for my suffering,
care nothing for my pain,
I'll let you go and I will still love you forever.
Derelicts
Dereliction, in these parts,
is thought of as style.
Jealous zombies
hammering nails into their two by fours
in their garages of paint thinner smells,
they make up a creepy army.
All life is profound
some exceedingly less so than others.
These lowlives learn lapping
before arithmetic.
For them being declared a burnout
is like getting a Ph.D
for their sisters sex
is a transaction of noise
a plan of information
about who to run down
in front of their friends.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment